1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
AlbumSurvivor
2006-03-03 12:17:02 UTC
Here are the matchups for Round 2 of our 1976 Album Survivor game. Of
the over 400 albums which started the competition, we have narrowed the
field to 128; here in Round 2 we see all the remaining albums on a
single ballot for the first time.

For this round, you have up to 64 selections to make: for each
randomly-selected matchup, select your preference (the easiest way to
do it is to copy the text of the note and delete the selections you
don't want). You do not have to vote for each matchup. A few
interesting pairs have been moved to the end of the ballot as featured
matchups.

Which albums should survive to move on to round 3? You may post your
choices (and any comments you wish to make) here or send them as e-mail
to ***@yahoo.com .

1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2

Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative vs. Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town

10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear

Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas

Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools

The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview

Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful

Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop vs. Al Green - Full of Fire

Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired

Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line

Tom Waits - Small Change vs. J.D. Souther - Black Rose

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost

Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways

Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us
a Wink

Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)

Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence

Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry

The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound

Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind

Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have vs. Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

Split Enz - Second Thoughts vs. Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record vs. J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)

Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!

Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station

The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go vs. Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail

Carole King - Throughbred vs. Parliament - Mothership Connection

Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!

The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together vs. The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture

Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets

Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage

Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet

* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *

Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now

* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy vs. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes
Alive!
Phaeton
2006-03-03 12:34:28 UTC
Abstentions are omitted...
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eagles - Hotel California
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Rush - 2112
Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live)
Slade - Nobody's Fools
Roxy Music - Viva! (live)
Blondie - Blondie
Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence
Boston - Boston
Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
The Runaways - The Runaways
Sweet - Give Us a Wink
ZZ Top - Tejas
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Queen - A Day at the Races
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young to Die!
Little River Band - Diamantina Cocktail
Grand Funk Railroad - Good Singin', Good Playin'
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
Ramones - The Ramones
Aerosmith - Rocks
AC/DC - High Voltage
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live)
Cheers, Csaba

CSABA I. HARANGOZO |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| phaeton at iinet dot net dot au
EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

A computer program will always do what you tell it to do, but rarely
what you want to do.
DianeE
2006-03-03 13:10:47 UTC
Some votes from me--DianeE

Eagles - Hotel California
Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Slade - Nobody's Fools
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Blondie - Blondie
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
J.D. Souther - Black Rose
Bob Dylan - Desire
ZZ Top - Tejas
Leon Redbone - On the Track
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Parliament - Mothership Connection
The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run
Ramones - The Ramones
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
Marvin Gaye - I Want You
----------------
-------------
Pass. I don't like either one of these.
unknown
2006-03-03 21:55:39 UTC
Post by DianeE
Some votes from me--DianeE
Pass. I don't like either one of these.
Thanks. Had this same restraint been applied the last round, John Miles
would have been spared a minus.

TS
DianeE
2006-03-04 00:01:44 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by DianeE
Some votes from me--DianeE
Pass. I don't like either one of these.
Thanks. Had this same restraint been applied the last round, John Miles
would have been spared a minus.
-------------
The reason I commented about the Funkadelic/ToP matchup is that I consider
myself a funk fan. I was sad that the Car Wash album was eliminated. I was
happy that Bootsy's Rubber Band advanced after tieing. I hope "Mothership
Connection" gets to the final round.

I did listen to the songs at the link you provided, and I don't regret
having voted for Frampton.
DianeE
unknown
2006-03-04 04:20:53 UTC
Post by Phaeton
Post by unknown
Post by DianeE
Some votes from me--DianeE
Pass. I don't like either one of these.
Thanks. Had this same restraint been applied the last round, John Miles
would have been spared a minus.
-------------
The reason I commented about the Funkadelic/ToP matchup is that I consider
myself a funk fan. I was sad that the Car Wash album was eliminated. I was
happy that Bootsy's Rubber Band advanced after tieing. I hope "Mothership
Connection" gets to the final round.
I did listen to the songs at the link you provided, and I don't regret
having voted for Frampton.
DianeE
Hmm, but if you don't like Frampton, and simply chose him as the lesser
of two bads, then how come you couldn't pick a lesser of two bads
between him and Hunter as well?

TS
DianeE
2006-03-04 13:51:13 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Phaeton
Post by unknown
Post by DianeE
Some votes from me--DianeE
Pass. I don't like either one of these.
Thanks. Had this same restraint been applied the last round, John Miles
would have been spared a minus.
-------------
The reason I commented about the Funkadelic/ToP matchup is that I consider
myself a funk fan. I was sad that the Car Wash album was eliminated. I was
happy that Bootsy's Rubber Band advanced after tieing. I hope "Mothership
Connection" gets to the final round.
I did listen to the songs at the link you provided, and I don't regret
having voted for Frampton.
DianeE
Hmm, but if you don't like Frampton, and simply chose him as the lesser
of two bads, then how come you couldn't pick a lesser of two bads
between him and Hunter as well?
---------------
I think you misunderstood my original comment. I never said I "don't like"
Frampton, only that I "can't believe I'm voting for this thing." What I
meant by that: It's something I haven't thought about in many years, even
though it was extremely popular when released. I meant it was a museum
piece, like Atari.

I probably would prefer the Ian Hunter album if I heard both of them now,
but I'm not really sure, so I abstained. It doesn't mean that much to me.
I'd rather listen to Otis Rush, Parliament, Warren Zevon or The Ramones.

DianeE
Mikki the Minx
2006-03-03 13:13:23 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
[...]
Ehhh....not a huge fan of either of these, but I'll vote for Tom
Petty's debut. It's the best thing he ever recorded.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative vs. Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town
Rod Stewart.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
10cc. One of the best albums of the year...
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Ouch. "The Boys Are Back in Town" and "Jailbreak" are classics, but
this BJ album is quite underrated. Billy.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3
Stevie Wonder. Another one of the year's classics.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
Uhhh...not very fond of either of these. Pass.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear
VDGG.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
Burning Spear.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie
I like some early Heart (before they became a power ballad band), but I
like Deep Purple a whole lot more. Deep Purple.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World
Hmmm. Hard choice. The Modern Lovers album is one of the early
proto-punk classics, but I do like some of the tracks on the Bee Gees
one. Bee Gees.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools
Never a huge fan of these two groups. Slade (reluctantly)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country
Blurgh, I loathe almost anything that is country music. The Blackbyrds
(NO contest!).
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview
Ouch! Two of the year's prog classics. But I love Genesis a lot more
than GG, so I'll go with Trick of the Tail.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Roxy Music.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie
I think that Blondie album is actually from early 1977, but
still....Blondie.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
Richard Thompson.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Ugh....one of the worst albums by one of the 60's most classic bands
vs. one of the lamest AOR bands of the 70's. I'll pass.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering
Genesis, another classic in every sense of the word.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Steely Dan.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café
PCO.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees
Ouch. Two really good albums. But since Boz will probably win anyway,
I'll give my vote to Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful
Todd Rundgren.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back
I haven't heard either of these, but I'll go with Joan Armatrading.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop vs. Al Green - Full of Fire
Robert Palmer.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired
Jeff Beck.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Steve Miller Band.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
Klaatu, even though I like the name of that Thin Lizzy one (similar to
the Ultravox frontman --- one of my all-time heroes).
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line
Uhhh....don't think I'm familiar with either of these. Pass.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Tom Waits - Small Change vs. J.D. Souther - Black Rose
Tom Waits.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost
ELO.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways
Bob Dylan.
.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us
a Wink
Sweet.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas
Ry Cooder.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track
Leon Redbone.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Rory Gallagher.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)
Andrew Gold.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World
Queen.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Rolling Stones.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence
Led Zeppelin.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Sparks.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Gordon Lightfoot (no contest!)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
Warren Zevon
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
The Residents.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band
Booty's Rubber Band.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind
Blah, Bob Seger I never cared for. Graham Parker (easy).
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Al Stewart.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Split Enz - Second Thoughts vs. Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
Split Enz. One of my favorite albums ever recorded!!!!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
Be-Bop Deluxe --- another great album from Bill Nelson and co.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station
Easy --- David Bowie. One of the best things Bowie did.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go vs. Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail
LRB.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Carole King - Throughbred vs. Parliament - Mothership Connection
Parliament.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!
AWB.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'
Residents (easy)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together vs. The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run
Bryan Ferry
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture
Eddie & the Hot Rods. Too bad Easy Street lost.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets
Uhhh....I don't like the Ramones even though I am a huge punk rocker.
To me, they are nothing more than the Status Quo of punk --- they made
one half-decent album and then remade it again and again ---- while all
their other punk peers moved on to much better things. So, since the
Ramones will win anyway, I'll go with Herbie Hancock.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch
Uhhhh.....pass.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage
Flamin' Groovies.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joni Mitchell.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet
Dr. Feelgood.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *
Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now
Funkadelic.
Ian Hunter.
Pistol: Safety Off
2006-03-03 13:22:13 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
My picks:
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers(I hate
to eliminate the Eagles so early)
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative
10cc - How Dare You?
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life(sorry George)
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man (easy choice, Rush sucks)
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Bee Gees - Children of the World
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the Country
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Blondie - Blondie
Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Genesis - Windand Wuthering
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees (sorry Manfred Mann)
Todd Rundgren - Faithful
[...]
Kansas - Leftoverture
Ramones - The Ramones (sorry Herbie)
Aerosmith - Rocks
AC/DC - High Voltage
Marvin Gaye - I Want You
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *
Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now
Pass, don't know enough about either.
Pass..Frampton sucks and don't know Hunter.
Bruce Buckingham
2006-03-03 13:33:07 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers
OOOOOOOCHHH!!

Eagles
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview
Double OOOOUCH!!!

It's 3 minutes later and I can't pick one, so I'll vote the underdog
IMO, Gentle Giant

Post by AlbumSurvivor
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart
Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
Genesis - Wind
Post by AlbumSurvivor
and Wuthering
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
Boz Scaggs - Silk
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Degrees
Todd Rundgren - Faithful
Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back
Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop
Boston - Boston
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
Bob Dylan - Desire
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live]
Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Wings - Wings Over
America (live)
Queen - A Day at the Races
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sparks - Big Beat vs
Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Live!
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll
Kansas - Leftoverture
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ramones - The Ramones
Aerosmith - Rocks
AC/DC - High Voltage
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Alive!
m***@bradford.ac.uk
2006-03-03 13:35:15 UTC
x-no-archive: yes

1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2

Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty

& the Heartbreakers

A tough one right off the bat. I hate to vote against a great Petty
album, especially given that HT has a fair bit of padding, but the
title track and (especially) "The Last Resort" swing it for the....

EAGLES

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative vs. Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town

ABSTAIN

10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

COODER

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles

LIZZY

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3

STEVIE

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112

RUSH

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear

ABSTAIN

Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas

ABSTAIN

Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie

PURPLE

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World

ABSTAIN (horrible, both of them).

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools

ABSTAIN

The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country

WAYLON

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview

Surprised this wasn't a "Featured Matchup" (prog "G"s or some such)
ABSTAIN (hate the Genesis, but never heard the GG album)

Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

ABSTAIN

Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie

BLONDIE

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)

THOMPSON

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

ABSTAIN (can't bring myself to vote for either of these)

Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering

ABSTAIN

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

SOUTHSIDE

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café

PENGUINS

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees

MANN

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful

Ah, the next tough one. "Faithful" was an impressive gimmick, but a
gimmick nonetheless, so....

TOOTS

Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back

JOAN

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop vs. Al Green - Full of Fire

PALMER

Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired

BOSTON

Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

MILLER (close call, though)

Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox

ABSTAIN

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line

SOUTHSIDE

Tom Waits - Small Change vs. J.D. Souther - Black Rose

SOUTHER (First Jackson, now J.D. What is it with these Asylum acts
getting drawn together?)

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost

ELO

Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways

DYLAN

Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us

a Wink

WALSH, *please*. Who the fuck voted for the bloody Sweet in the last
round fer Chrissakes?

Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas

COODER

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track

LEON. Ace, ace, ace.

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

I love Rory, but I could NOT believe this album put out the mighty
"Rose Of Cimarron" in the last round. So I'm sticking with the Asylum
act again here....

LINDA

Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)

GOLD

Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World

THIRD WORLD (my standard anti-Queen vote)

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

Well, B&B has the mighty "Memory Motel".... but not much else, so....

PARKER, narrowly.

Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence

DELBERT. Bad Zep album, that one.

Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

OTIS

Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream

GORD

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry

ZEVON. Great, great album.

The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound

WINGS

Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band

ABSTAIN

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind

Another one that might have been a Featured Matchup. Some great tracks
on the Parker, but it has to be....

SEGER

Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have vs. Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

ABSTAIN

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

STEWART

Split Enz - Second Thoughts vs. Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

ABSTAIN

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record vs. J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)

ABSTAIN

Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!

ABSTAIN. Bands that I like *some* albums by, but not either of these.

Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station

ABSTAIN

The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go vs. Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail

ABSTAIN

Carole King - Throughbred vs. Parliament - Mothership Connection

ABSTAIN

Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!

TROWER

The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'

ABSTAIN

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together vs. The Stills-Young Band - Long May

You Run

STILLS-YOUNG. Much better than it's given credit for.

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture

HOTRODS

Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets

RAMONES

Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

ABSTAIN

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage

GROOVIES

Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

JONI

* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet

FEELGOODS, easy.

* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *

Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now

ABSTAIN

* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy vs. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes

Alive!

HUNTER

Mike M
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-03 22:52:08 UTC
<***@bradford.ac.uk> wrote in message news:***@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
x-no-archive: yes

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World

ABSTAIN (horrible, both of them).

Really? I can't imagine anyone actually disliking the Modern Lovers album.
What don't you like about it?

Greg
unknown
2006-03-04 04:27:30 UTC
Post by m***@bradford.ac.uk
x-no-archive: yes
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World
ABSTAIN (horrible, both of them).
Really? I can't imagine anyone actually disliking the Modern Lovers album.
What don't you like about it?
Greg
I could very well imagine the whiny vocals and lyrics-over-melody
approach with many of the songs to be a turn-off for a lot of people
(one might hear the roots of various 90's indie rock on there.)
Personally, I hadn't listened to the album for 15 years when I gave it a
few plays recently.

TS
Bob Roman
2006-03-03 13:42:38 UTC
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the Country
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Al Green - Full of Fire
Boston - Boston
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line
Tom Waits - Small Change
Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost
Bob Dylan - Desire
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live]
Ry Cooder - Show Time

Bob Roman
Millard Isobar
2006-03-03 13:47:20 UTC
My choices:

1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Billy Joel - Turnstiles

George Harrison - Thirty Three & 1/3

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear

The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Roxy Music - Viva! (live

Blondie - Blondie

Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Todd Rundgren - Faithful

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop

Jeff Beck - Wired

Tom Waits - Small Change

Bob Dylan - Desire

Wings - Wings Over America (live)

Queen - A Day at the Races

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue

Led Zeppelin - Presence

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record

Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young to Die!

David Bowie - Station to Station

Parliament - Mothership Connection

Robin Trower - Robin Trower Live!

The Residents - Third Reich & Roll

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression

Ramones - The Ramones

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live)

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy

Abstain on the others
--
Millard

Remove SPAMTRAP to reply
Mark Dintenfass
2006-03-03 13:49:13 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers
Pretty early for this kind of matchup of the biggies. I'll take the
Eagles by a beak.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
Oh dear. For someone with my tastes this is a regrettable pairing. I
guess I'll have to take the WTs/
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the> Country
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie
Blondie wins--on looks mostly!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
Another unfortunate matchup. Blackheart Man is Wailer's very best album
and my choice here.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
It was never fashionable to like the Doobies, but their sound has held
up a lot better than a lot of their more fashionable contemporaries.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Yeah, it's still the best album on the list. :-)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading
Al Green - Full of Fire
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost
A chance to vote for him, but does he have a chance?
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Dylan - Desire
Great stuff, even if the whole LP sounds out of tune.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time
Wings - Wings Over America (live)
Third World - Third World
Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Oulaw vs. wimp. I vote for the Waylon outlaw.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch
Marvin Gaye - I Want You
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
S***@aol.com
2006-03-03 13:56:56 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
MY CHOICES:

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
Post by AlbumSurvivor
& the Heartbreakers
Rod Stewart -
Post by AlbumSurvivor
A Night on the Town
10cc - How Dare You?
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Bee Gees - Children of the
Post by AlbumSurvivor
World
Slade - Nobody's Fools
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Blondie - Blondie
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence
Todd Rundgren - Faithful
Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back
Al Green - Full of Fire
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Boston - Boston
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST
Southside Johnny
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
Bob Dylan - Desire
Sweet - Give Us
Post by AlbumSurvivor
a Wink
ZZ Top - Tejas
Leon Redbone - On the Track
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind
Wings - Wings Over
Post by AlbumSurvivor
America (live)
Third World - Third World
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Face Out (live)
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Average White Band - Soul Searching
Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Alive!
Mump
2006-03-03 14:08:53 UTC
2
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eagles - Hotel California
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative
10cc - How Dare You?
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3
I love both of these dearly, but my head says the Stevie is just pure
art, while the Hari is him on the decline.

Stevie
Rush - 2112
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview
I love both of these dearly, but my head says the Genesis is their last
gasp as a cohesive unit dedicated still, somewhat to smart prog. I love
the GG album ( especially side one) but its hard to listen to...Genesis.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Two really crappy albums, especially the Beach Boys. But at least it's
Brian Wilson crap.

Beach Boys

. Genesis - Wind
Post by AlbumSurvivor
and Wuthering
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Boz Scaggs - Silk
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Degrees
Jeff Beck - Wired
Post by AlbumSurvivor
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
Wings - Wings Over
Post by AlbumSurvivor
America (live)
Queen - A Day at the Races
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Would it be totally absurd if "Cook of the House" apeared on the
Residents album?

Residents.

. Graham Parker -
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Howlin' Wind
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
David Bowie - Station to Station
Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Singin', Good Playin'
Kansas - Leftoverture
Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch
Whatever happened to the Amherst Record label?

Aerosmith
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Alive!
mike sparrow
2006-03-03 14:24:09 UTC
My choices (abstentions not noted)

Eagles - Hotel California
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas (tough one)

overdraft01
Jim
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
2006-03-03 15:27:17 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
My abstentions have been deleted.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Eagles - Hotel California vs.
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life vs.
George Harrison - Thirty Three & 1/3
Songs In The Key Of Life
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man To Man vs.
Rush - 2112
2112
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Deep Purple - Made In Europe vs.
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Dreamboat Annie
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs.
The Bee Gees - Children Of The World
The Modern Lovers
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs.
Slade - Nobody's Fools
I love Patti's twisted guitar improvisations on the
title song, and the energy on the whole album is
great.

Radio Ethiopia
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Roxy Music - Viva! vs.
Parliament - Clones Of Doctor Funkenstein
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs.
Blondie - Blondie
Blondie
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Southside Johnny And The Asbury Jukes
- I Don't Want To Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
The Royal Scam
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Toots And The Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs.
Todd Rundgren - Faithful
Faithful
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs.
Sly And The Family Stone
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Spirit - Son Of Spirit vs.
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
I like the synthesizer and echoplex work on the
long version of the title song to "Fly Like An
Eagle", but overall Spirit is a much better band.

Son Of Spirit
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Tom Waits - Small Change vs.
J.D. Souther - Black Rose
Small Change
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs.
Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost
Garvey's Ghost
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Dylan - Desire vs.
The Runaways - The Runaways
The Runaways
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
vs. Sweet - Give Us A Wink
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune vs.
Leon Redbone - On The Track
Two nice Patti Smith songs plus "Don't Fear The
Reaper"!

Agents Of Fortune
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down The Wind vs.
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Hasten Down The Wind
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Queen - A Day At The Races vs.
Third World - Third World
Third World
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sparks - Big Beat vs.
Otis Rush - Right Place Wrong Time
Big Beat
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Fingerprince vs.
Wings - Wings At The Speed Of Sound
Fingerprince
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
vs. Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Night Moves
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Carole King - Throughbred vs.
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Mothership Connection
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - The Third Reich 'N' Roll vs.
Grand Funk Railroad - Good Singin', Good Playin'
I have this album autographed by The Residents!

The Third Reich 'N' Roll
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eddie And The Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs.
Kansas - Leftoverture
Leftoverture
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Ramones - The Ramones vs.
Herbie Hancock - Secrets
The Ramones
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs.
AC/DC - High Voltage
Shake Some Action
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs.
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Hejira
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity vs.
Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band - 'Live' Bullet
Live Bullet
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs.
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothing Stopping Us Now
Hardcore Jollies

- - - -
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian

Nova Psychedelia (2-CD: Vocal, 1975-1985)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc4
Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc
Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2004)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc3
mavco

Intheway
2006-03-03 16:11:23 UTC
The only thing really wrong with "Hotel California" is that it
became an immense iconic object that magnified its flaws as well as the
strength, kinda like "Dark Side Of The Moon" on country rock
steroids. Unfortunately, it is up against one of the reasons why 1976
was a memorable year for music; a debut album that still makes you
listen hard now.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
------

ARS finally got the formula right, at about the same time Stewart was
learning he could phone it in.

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative

-----

Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

-----

I'm one of those people who was immune to Thin Lizzy back then, and I
haven't learned any better since. "Turnstiles" is Joel filtering
a number of his strongest influences, from the Beatles to Phil Spector
to Sinatra. Not every attempt turns out as good as "Say Goodbye To
Hollywood" but I admire his reach, if not his grasp. It may not be
enough to carry "Turnstiles" deeper into the game, but it's
enough against this competition.

Billy Joel - Turnstiles

-----

SITKOL is the last of Wonder's string of five incredible albums that
made describing music by genre irrelevant. It was also, to a great
degree, the album that was the final "proof" to many artists that
you didn't need to put out an album every six months. (It had been
two years since "Fullfillingness' First Finale," it would be
three before his next one.) There probably has never been a 2LP set
without some stuff you can clearly label "wretched excess," but
there isn't a whole lot on this one that I skip over, even 30 years
later. The Harrison could have lasted a round or two more against
other entries.

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

----

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
-----

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life

-----

Unfortunate match up #1. Both albums were revelations to me when I
finally heard them (early 80s on both). The Nevilles in a close one.

The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas

------
Heart - Dreamboat Annie

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia

Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the Country

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

Blondie - Blondie

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man

Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like
---------

Unfortunate match up #2. There's a great deal of heart in the Jukes
album, and, conversely an almost clinical absence of emotional
attachment on Royal Scam, but it is one of those rare recordings that
succeeds perfectly at reaching the goals it sets. Sorry, Johnny.

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
--------

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul

--------

Unfortunate match up #3, just because Palmer seems to have been one of
Green's best students in learning how to make it sound easy. Going
with the original.

Al Green - Full of Fire

-------

1976 would not have been 1976 without "Boston." "More Than A
Feeling" was everywhere, all the time. It has been implanted on the
DNA of all children conceived in that year. The effect of that has yet
to be felt.

It is, however, up against a brilliant album by one of the world's
best musicians, and it even has a Charles Mingus song on it! If I had
my way, "Wired" would be in the final four. As it is, I suspect
this will be last time I can vote for it.

Jeff Beck - Wired
--------

Spirit - Son of Spirit

-----

The melodica really is a limited instrument.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line

----------

Tom Waits - Small Change

Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost

Bob Dylan - Desire

Ry Cooder - Show Time

Leon Redbone - On the Track

----

Even in her early days, Linda wasn't lanky, but when she had good
material, it showed.

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind

------

Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture?

Third World - Third World

Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide

Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon

Peter Tosh - Legalize It

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves

----

Not nearly his best, but getting farther into the game than better
stuff just because it keeps drawing weaker opponents.

Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
---------

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out (live)

David Bowie - Station to Station

The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go

Parliament - Mothership Connection

Average White Band - Soul Searching

Grand Funk Railroad - Good Singin', Good Playin'

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together

Ramones - The Ramones

Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

Marvin Gaye - I Want You

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - 'Live' Bullet

Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing Stopping Us Now

------

This is what the 70s mainstream was all about; too long, self indulgent
and essentially weightless, but I don't think it was ever done as
well as it was here:

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive!
Mark Dintenfass
2006-03-03 16:22:31 UTC
Post by Intheway
ARS finally got the formula right, at about the same time Stewart was
learning he could phone it in.
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative
A little unfair to Stewart. Sure there's dross, but for me, his LP was
something of a comeback--especially "Tonight's the Night." which is
salaciously classic, and "The Killing of Georgie," one of the most
honest things Rod ever did. His rendition of "First Cut Is the Deepest"
is also first-rate.
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
Intheway
2006-03-03 16:44:41 UTC
Post by Mark Dintenfass
A little unfair to Stewart. Sure there's dross, but for me, his LP was
something of a comeback--especially "Tonight's the Night." which is
salaciously classic, and "The Killing of Georgie," one of the most
honest things Rod ever did. His rendition of "First Cut Is the Deepest"
is also first-rate.
I've never understood the charm of "Tonight's The Night," which just
comes off as smarmy, but then, I've always been amazed at the
popularity of "Maggie Mae" when I think there are a half dozen better
songs on that LP alone. You're right about "Georgie," but I think his
version of "Cut" was eclipsed by P.P. Arnold's. And the dross is
really dross.
Mark Dintenfass
2006-03-03 20:04:36 UTC
Post by Intheway
I've always been amazed at the
popularity of "Maggie Mae"
I'm a big fan of the song. It's not only a great melody, and some
terrific singing, and, in its time, true to r'n'r roots, but it tells a
believable story and has some first-rate and funny lyrics. It's been
played to death, of course, but I still get into it when it comes up on
oldies radio. If you listen backward through all the shlock he's turned
out, it's hard to remember how really good and original he seemed at
the time.
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
x***@earthlink.net
2006-03-04 15:02:28 UTC
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:04:36 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Intheway
I've always been amazed at the
popularity of "Maggie Mae"
I'm a big fan of the song. It's not only a great melody, and some
terrific singing, and, in its time, true to r'n'r roots, but it tells a
believable story and has some first-rate and funny lyrics. It's been
played to death, of course, but I still get into it when it comes up on
oldies radio. If you listen backward through all the shlock he's turned
out, it's hard to remember how really good and original he seemed at
the time.
As I was channel surfing sometime during the last year< I ran into RS
on program promoting his newest album Rod Stewart Sings the
Standards. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! How sad. IMO Whatever voice RS might have
had is gone.
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-04 15:11:53 UTC
Post by Intheway
Post by Mark Dintenfass
A little unfair to Stewart. Sure there's dross, but for me, his LP was
something of a comeback--especially "Tonight's the Night." which is
salaciously classic, and "The Killing of Georgie," one of the most
honest things Rod ever did. His rendition of "First Cut Is the Deepest"
is also first-rate.
I've never understood the charm of "Tonight's The Night," which just
comes off as smarmy, but then, I've always been amazed at the
popularity of "Maggie Mae" when I think there are a half dozen better
songs on that LP alone. You're right about "Georgie," but I think his
version of "Cut" was eclipsed by P.P. Arnold's. And the dross is
really dross.
I was in a pub on Monday night and Maggie came onto the sound system. They
had the bass turned so high you could barely hear Rod's vocals. It forced me
to listen to the bass guitar in the song for the first time. It is well
worth doing -- the bass player is doing brilliant stuff in behind there. I
still love the song. Everything in it comes together perfectly.

Greg
ttuerff
2006-03-03 17:17:24 UTC
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative

Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man

Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear

The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas

Heart - Dreamboat Annie

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country
Gentle Giant - Interview

[...]

Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail

. Parliament - Mothership Connection

Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!

Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'
The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run

Kansas - Leftoverture

Ramones - The Ramones

Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

. AC/DC - High Voltage

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet

* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *

Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now

* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes
Alive!
a***@hotmail.com

y***@yahoo.com
2006-03-03 19:46:41 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Eagles - Hotel California
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative Tough choice
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

CRA: The ONLY choice
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
comment re: above: GH@ 33 1/3 is not a bad album, and it's one of his
better ones relative to his own career - picked to click was
"Crackerbox Palace", but it's fresh-cut daisies next to a dozen roses
here
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
CRA: just to kill Rush - the nadir
. Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas

CRA: Don't know about the reggae, but this is a classic
. Heart - Dreamboat Annie
. Bee Gees - Children of the World
Slade - Nobody's Fools
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Roxy Music - Viva! (live)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home
CRA: give this one some thought, folks.

AMG on "The Royal Scam": The Royal Scam is the first Steely Dan
record that doesn't exhibit significant musical progress from its
predecessor,....[edit snip] Not so coincidentally, the album is
comprised of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen's weakest set of songs
since Can't Buy a Thrill. [snip remainder review]
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees

CRA: Anyone have a problem voting for this classic?
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back
PASS (although no big fan of J.A.)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
PASS
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
The Runaways - The Runaways

CRA: Pt.#1 - Desire is not a monumental, towering Dylan album.
Pt.#2 - I didn't have a trace of wistfulness, even once,
after ditching it (trading it in)
soon after getting it.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time
Leon Redbone - On the Track
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind
. Wings - Wings Over America (live)

CRA: Andrew Gold's only hit had me thinking "oh what a bad,
bummer-time record when it was out
. Third World - Third World
Alive!
y***@yahoo.com
2006-03-03 21:51:32 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
CRA: just to kill Rush - the nadir
. Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
CRA: Don't know about the reggae, but this is a classic
. Heart - Dreamboat Annie
. Bee Gees - Children of the World
Slade - Nobody's Fools
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Roxy Music - Viva! (live)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
The Runaways - The Runaways
CRA: Pt.#1 - Desire is not a monumental, towering Dylan album.
Pt.#2 - I didn't have a trace of wistfulness, even once,
after ditching it (trading it in)
soon after getting it.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time
Post by AlbumSurvivor
[...]
Please discount this extra vote - it is really a premature mis-fire (my
accidentally hitting "post message" (send) before I finished voting on
all the sets of pairs I wanted to.
Please use subsequent post a few minutes later which finishes with my
choice of Frampton Comes Alive in the final pair.

Thank-you and sorry,

Larry Ingersoll
Auburn Annie
2006-03-03 19:57:37 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
[...]
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Queen - A Day at the Races
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out (live)
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young to Die!
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings
. Little River Band - Diamantina Cocktail
Carole King - Throughbred
Jason Michael
2006-03-03 19:45:58 UTC
I thought I'd try adding some comments for a change.

Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers

When thinking about this match-up I feel I should be voting for Petty, but I
actually play the Eagles album more, so...

EAGLES

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative vs. Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town

PASS

10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

10CC One of my favorites at the time, and still enjoyable.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles

THIN LIZZY

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3

No contest-

STEVIE WONDER

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112

AS a Canadian, I should vote for Rush, but they are one of the most
god-aweful bands of all time. I just can't listen to them.

HOT CHOCOLATE

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear

I've never liked Pete Hamill's vocals, so

TANGERINE DREAM

Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas

I prefer the funk of New Orleans over the riddims of reggae so it's gotta
be...

WILD TCHOUPITOULAS

Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie

I only like Purple Mach II so it's gotta be

HEART

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World

I like both of these albums but it's far more influential and I'm more
likely to play...

MODERN LOVERS

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools

PASS

The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country

PASS

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview

PASS

Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

PARLIAMENT

Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie

BLONDIE

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)

BUNNY WAILER

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

PASS

Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering

ROBERT PALMER

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

STEELY DAN

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café

DOBIE BROTHERS

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees

MANFRED MANN

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful

TOOTS

Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back

PASS

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop vs. Al Green - Full of Fire

AL GREEN

Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired

Another one where I THINK I should vote Beck, but when it comes to what I'm
more likely to play it's going to be...

BOSTON (I was playing it earlier this week, in fact.)

Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

STEVE MILLER BAND

Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox

THIN LIZZY

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line

PASSS

Tom Waits - Small Change vs. J.D. Souther - Black Rose

TOM WAITS

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost

ELO

Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways

This one is actually tough. I really like "Cherry Bomb". But it's going to
be...

BOB DYLAN

Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us
a Wink

SWEET

Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas

PASS

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track

I like both of these albums quite a bit. They're both great for different
moods. I guess since I'm a sucker for the golden age of Warner animation,
I'll vote for the cover of...

LEON REDBONE

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

PASS

Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)

PASS

Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World

QUEEN

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

GRAHAM PARKER

Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence

LED ZEPPLIN

Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

PASS

Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream

GORDON LIGHTFOOT

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry

WARREN ZEVON

The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound

RESIDENTS

Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band

PETER TOSH

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind

GRAHAM PARKER

Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have vs. Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

PASS

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

SKYNYRD

Split Enz - Second Thoughts vs. Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

PASS

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record vs. J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)

PASS

Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!

BEBOP DELUXE

Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station

DAVID BOWIE

The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go vs. Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail

PASS

Carole King - Throughbred vs. Parliament - Mothership Connection

PARLIAMENT

Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!

PASS

The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'

RESIDENTS

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together vs. The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run

BRYAN FERRY

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture

EDDIE & THE HOT RODS

Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets

RAMONES

Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

AEROSMITH

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage

Another tough match. I'll go eith...

FLAMIN' GROOVIES

Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

JONI MITCHELL

* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet

PASS

* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *

Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now

PASS

* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy vs. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes
Alive!

I've never liked the Frampton album. In the 70s I could never make it
through the thing when I was at someone's house as they were playing it. I'd
just leave. Last year a friend gave me all of his old LPs and I found it
amongst his stuff. Figuring I'd give it another chance since I enjoy a lot
of things from this era that I didn't appreciate back then, I played it, so
wouldn't you know, my vote is for...

IAN HUNTER!!!!

..."Frampton Comes Alive!" still sucks.

Jason
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-04 15:17:05 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
AS a Canadian, I should vote for Rush, but they are one of the most
god-aweful bands of all time. I just can't listen to them.
Yeah, exactly. I occasionally meet people who know the guys in the band.
When they start talking about Rush, I try to change the topic or just
mumble. Shudder!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
I prefer the funk of New Orleans over the riddims of reggae so it's gotta
be...
Interesting. I don't hear funk at all when I listen to this album. I hear
traces of Dr John and Gris Gris.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
THIN LIZZY
Feh! some Canadian!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
GORDON LIGHTFOOT
OK, you're forgiven.

Greg
Jason Michael
2006-03-04 20:27:15 UTC
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
AS a Canadian, I should vote for Rush, but they are one of the most
god-aweful bands of all time. I just can't listen to them.
Yeah, exactly. I occasionally meet people who know the guys in the band.
When they start talking about Rush, I try to change the topic or just
mumble. Shudder!
Yeah, if you have nothing nice to say, mumble...
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
I prefer the funk of New Orleans over the riddims of reggae so it's gotta
be...
Interesting. I don't hear funk at all when I listen to this album. I hear
traces of Dr John and Gris Gris.
I can understand that. I should probably have called it proto-funk, because
that swamp sound is a precursor to funk, at least to my ears.
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
THIN LIZZY
Feh! some Canadian!
This was actually a close call. At the time of release I really liked
Klaatu, but I don't think they've aged all that well.
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
GORDON LIGHTFOOT
OK, you're forgiven.
Thank you. :)

Jason
Greg
Zaragon
2006-03-04 20:53:17 UTC
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
I prefer the funk of New Orleans over the riddims of reggae so it's gotta
be...
Interesting. I don't hear funk at all when I listen to this album. I hear
traces of Dr John and Gris Gris.
It's Cajun funk. If you like that album, you should also like the
Meters, whose albums from that period (Rejuvination; Fire On the Bayou)
sound very similar.

TS
y***@yahoo.com
2006-03-04 21:05:43 UTC
Rejuvenation by The Meters is a great album. Anyone interested at all
in the kinds of music The Nevilles made, and Dr. John and all that
soul-zydeco-creole-cajun gumbo that went on and around down there
should hear "It Ain't No Use" at least once.

Larry Ingersoll
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-05 02:06:40 UTC
Post by Zaragon
Post by Greg Ioannou
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas
I prefer the funk of New Orleans over the riddims of reggae so it's gotta
be...
Interesting. I don't hear funk at all when I listen to this album. I hear
traces of Dr John and Gris Gris.
It's Cajun funk. If you like that album, you should also like the
Meters, whose albums from that period (Rejuvination; Fire On the Bayou)
sound very similar.
To my ears, the Meters have a gospel edge to their sound that neither the
WTs or Dr John have.

Greg
y***@yahoo.com
2006-03-03 20:07:34 UTC

Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man
CRA: just to kill Rush - the nadir
. Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas

CRA: Don't know about the reggae, but this is a classic
. Heart - Dreamboat Annie
. Bee Gees - Children of the World
Slade - Nobody's Fools
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Roxy Music - Viva! (live)

Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
The Runaways - The Runaways

CRA: Pt.#1 - Desire is not a monumental, towering Dylan album.
Pt.#2 - I didn't have a trace of wistfulness, even once,
after ditching it (trading it in)
soon after getting it.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time

Post by AlbumSurvivor
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live
CRA: Do some people like to get "wrecked" listening to the Edmund
Fitzgerald?
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
CRA: the right choice, perhaps Zevon's best album
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
CRA: It's terrible to choose between two classic albums
. Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
CRA: Hint: Bullets is not Skynyrd's best album

Mighty Diamonds - Right Time
J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression
. Herbie Hancock - Secrets
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Aerosmith - Rocks
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
CRA: Sentimental favorite
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - 'Live' Bullet

CRA: Turn the page (sic), I say no contest
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-04 15:27:29 UTC
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
CRA: Anyone have a problem voting for this classic?
No problem at all, except that it is running against a Manfred Mann album
that has far more going for it.

Greg
JGM
2006-03-05 22:48:32 UTC
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Eagles - Hotel California
There goes my theory on where your handle came from.
Post by y***@yahoo.com
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home
CRA: give this one some thought, folks.
AMG on "The Royal Scam": The Royal Scam is the first Steely Dan
record that doesn't exhibit significant musical progress from its
predecessor,....[edit snip] Not so coincidentally, the album is
comprised of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen's weakest set of songs
since Can't Buy a Thrill. [snip remainder review]
Their "weakest set of songs" since "Do It Again", "Dirty Work", "Only
A Fool", and "Reelin' in the Years"? Sign me up!

S.T. Erlewine (lead AMG reviewer) is an idiot sometimes, and this is
one of them.

JGM
BobbyM
Parry
2006-03-03 22:26:48 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Imagine the 1970s without Brian Eno, John Cale, ABBA, Alex Chilton, Dave
Edmunds, Fleetwood Mac, Iggy Pop, Johnny Thunders, King Crimson, Bruce
Springsteen, Nick Lowe, Robert Wyatt, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison... (Or
Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello, Stranglers, Wire, etc.) That's 1976. Not a
banner year for rock music. Even musicians I normally like released
albums I thought disappointing or mediocre (Kevin Ayers, Groundhogs, T.
Rex, Kevin Coyne, etc.) to just plain lousy (Captain Beefheart). 10cc
and Bebop Deluxe had seen better days, too. Others -- Rod Stewart, Steve
Miller, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, etc -- I felt were dinosaurs by
this point.

So there's only about 14 albums left in competition which I think are
really strong. I've abstained on several match-ups either because of
unfamiliarity (usually with the reggae stuff) or because faced with two
banalities I couldn't muster the will to choose. Looking over the 1976
entries, the atmosphere seemed truly primed for late the 70s rebellion.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eagles - Hotel California
I think the common hostility towards the Eagles dates from this album,
for which they smooth off whatever edge they may have previously had. On
the other hand, I never had much interest in Tom Petty.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
10cc - How Dare You?
George Harrison - Thirty Three & 1/3
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Roxy Music - Viva! (live)
Blondie - Blondie
Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Tepid Beach Boys which I vaguely remember as being touted at the time as
Brian Wilson's comeback.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café
Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop
Spirit - Son of Spirit
I was a Steve Miller fan until "Fly Like an Eagle."
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Tom Waits - Small Change
Bob Dylan - Desire
I like The Runaways' cut shtick like "Cherry Bomb," so too bad they're
to be blown away by Dylan & Levy's "Hurricane," one of the finest
narrative lyrics I've ever heard. The gypsy spirit in Scarlet Rivera's
violin gives "Desire" a sound unique even in Dylan's catalogue. Rivera
actually had her own album, yet I don't remember if I ever heard it.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
A let-down after their first three albums, but a few terrific tracks win
it a vote. I must admit I'm one of those who misheard the lyric to be
"Caesars don't fear the Reaper" -- a great line even if nobody wrote it.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Again, "Achilles' Last Stand."
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sparks - Big Beat
The punk anthem "Screwed Up," the all-purpose "Everybody's Stupid" (now
I've got some music and the Lord, and I'm feeling dumber then before"),
loads of melodic misanthropy -- what's not to like?
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
The Residents - Fingerprince
Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Parker's shining moment, up against a boring album typical of 1976.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record
One of my favourite VDGG albums.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings
Vote to the underdog.
----------------------------
r***@comcast.net
2006-03-04 00:17:11 UTC
[...]

Warren Zevon - Warren ZevonWings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out (live)
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young to Die!
David Bowie - Station to Station
Little River Band - Diamantina Cocktail
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Robin Trower - Robin Trower Live!
Grand Funk Railroad - Good Singin', Good Playin'
The Stills-Young Band - Long May You Run
Kansas - Leftoverture
The Ramones - The Ramones
Aerosmith - Rocks
AC/DC - High Voltage
Marvin Gaye - I Want You

Ian Doran
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live)
blanny
2006-03-04 01:09:03 UTC
Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers

EAGLES (I hate the Eagles, except for one song in their entire catalog - The
Last Resort)

[...]
Wings at the Speed of Sound
Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs
Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Bajamark
2006-03-04 01:41:34 UTC
[...]

(I love Tull, but Modern Music is the better album)

Alive!
Clifford Blau
2006-03-04 03:05:41 UTC
On 3 Mar 2006 04:17:02 -0800, "AlbumSurvivor"
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World
Modern Lovers
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways
Runaways
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)
Wings
Ramones
Muggy
2006-03-04 03:36:47 UTC
Muggy's Picks: 1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2

Eagles - Hotel California
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Mike G
2006-03-04 10:33:20 UTC
Lots of pairings where both albums appeal to a similar sect. Eagles vs.
Petty, Van Der Graaf vs. Tangerine Dream, Burning Spear vs. Wild
Tchoupitoulas, Genesis vs. Gentle Giant, Boston vs. Jeff Beck, Cooder
vs. ZZ Top, Be Bop Deluxe vs. Jethro Tull, Funkadelic vs. Tower of
Power.... Also means there are more races which lie outside my
interests, and hence are hard to strongly care about.

Votes....
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
"Life in the Fast Lane" is one of maybe two or three Eagles songs which
I enjoy to any notable degree, but...I'm voting for Petty, one of those
strange borderline artists whom I fully respect and "radio-enjoy" but
somehow never feel compelled to purchase.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
A bit surprised at how many folks are voting for ARS.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Cooder is one of those guys who has spent his career being so
righteously reverent toward his influences that he has never expanded
into doing anything truly interesting. A bit of a waste, since his
guitar talents are so strong. On the other hand, 10cc is gratingly
smarmy and self-impressed. And god, that wonky lead-guitar sound. I'm
sure that I could sit through Chicken Skin Music, but I'm not so sure
about How Dare You. Vote: Cooder.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Thirty Three and a Third, yes. Third round, no.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Rush - 2112
The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Never had any use for Deep Purple in general, much less a live album
with five long tracks.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Hooray...Patti draws a weak opponent and advances again.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the Country
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
I haven't heard more than 8-10 Gentle Giant tracks, but they were enough
to conclude that I'll never enjoy this band. All the twiddly
instrumental tangents and that fruity-madrigal feel really make me
cringe.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Roxy Music - Viva!
Definitely a vote for personal preference over objective importance,
here.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Blondie - Blondie
Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Can't bring myself to give the Beach Boys a sentimental vote. Pass.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence
More interesting than Bozzzzzzzzzzz.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
This deserves to beat Rundgren, but it probably won't.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Jeff Beck - Wired
Boston is just radio wallpaper to me.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
Did whoever wrote "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" hear Lizzy's "Fools Gold"
beforehand? Pass.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record
I gather that this Burning Spear album is entirely instrumental...no
thank you. And "Telephone Line" and "Livin Thing" are ELO at their most
listenable, for whatever that's worth.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Bob Dylan - Desire
It was fun having the Runaways in the game, amidst a year so otherwise
starved for a sense of "rebellion." Oh well.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
ZZ Top - Tejas
Cooder's sleepy style of Tex Mex sure can be depressing. It's like being
stuck on an empty Southwest highway with a steaming radiator.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Wings - Wings Over America
Queen - A Day at the Races
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Hardest choice of the round. "Fool to Cry" is one of those songs which
makes me marvel of how much mileage the Stones have drawn out of such a
limited set of building blocks. It starts off with a generic I-IV-I-IV
progression which you've heard in 20 other Stones songs, but then it
somehow takes an amazingly gorgeous twist into that falsetto "And it
makes me WON-der why" hook which is just breathtaking. On the other
hand, I can scarcely remember how any of the other tracks go without
revisiting the album. Not a good sign. Gotta go with Heat Treatment,
though it's a record which I don't feel like I've fully absorbed yet
(it's definitely due for another listen). Parker in his initial rush of
brash self-discovery tops the 13-year-old Stones at the beginning of
their decline. Vote: Parker.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Sparks - Big Beat
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
Bleh. Combine the two, and have the Clapton personnel record the Zevon
songs. Pass.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
The Residents - Fingerprince
Damn. I guess we'll saying goodbye to this album. "Let 'Em In" is a big
guilty pleasure, but I traded back Wings at the Speed of Sound. Just
another motley collection of "crafted" tracks from McCartney's AM-radio
days.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Personal enjoyment vs. academic respect, here. The former wins.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
I feel a little nauseated, voting for this, but that Skynyrd album is
rather humdrum.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young to Die!
There's something intangible about Be Bop Deluxe's sci-fi slipperiness
which turns me off. It's kinda like being forced to eat three lemon
popsicles in a row. And I'd say Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll is a little
better than its reputation -- I'd advise just ignoring the "narrative"
and focusing on the melody and instrumental textures.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
David Bowie - Station to Station
Little River Band - Diamantina Cocktail
Edging out the Trammps. Oooh. The who-cares match of the round?
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Robin Trower - Robin Trower Live!
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll
Ugh. First Grand Funk knocks off Return to Forever, and now they'll
probably eliminate the Residents too.
Post by Pistol: Safety Off
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
Ramones - The Ramones
I'm starting to wonder if any Ramones opponent will draw a substantial
tally of votes in this game.
Aerosmith - Rocks
Support for Frampton continues to mystify.
Ludovic Delamare
2006-03-04 11:59:22 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers
PETTY
Post by AlbumSurvivor
10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
RY COODER
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie
PURPLE ! One of the very first album I ever bought (along with Rory's
Calling Card and Nugent's Free For All. Those were the days of the
guitar gods)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools
PATTI SMITH
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country
WAYLON JENNINGS
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview
GENESIS
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)
RICHARD THOMPSON
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
SOUTHSIDE JOHNNY
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café
DOOBIES
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired
JEFF BECK. My favorite guitar album ever ! His tone and phrasing on
that Mingus tune are simply out of this world.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
STEVE MILLER
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
LIZZY again
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line
AUGUSTUS PABLO
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us
a Wink
JOE WALSH
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas
ZZ TOP
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track
BOC. I'm not a big fan of "The Reaper" but "This Ain't The Summer Of
Love" is one of their best tracks imo.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
RORY !!!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
PARKER
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence
ZEPPELIN
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
OTIS RUSH
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
ZEVON
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind
Tough. GRAHAM PARKER.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
AL STEWART
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record vs. J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)
J.GEILS BAND
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
Bah. TULL
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station
BOWIE
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture
HOT RODS
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets
RAMONES !
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage
GROOVIES. Have three copies of this one (the original french pressing
on Philips and the UK and US pressings, both on Sire : different
running order, slightly different covers). This record has been
released in France before anywhere else BTW. They remain one of THE
definitive cult bands here, even today. Their '75/'76 gigs in Paris are
still remembered as some of the greatest rock'n'roll concerts in this
town ever (along with the New York Dolls' Olympia gigs. That's what my
older friends tell me anyway). Having missed that Groovies/Radio
Birdman '78 concert is one of the regrets of my life. But well I was a
bit young then...
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet
Aaargghh! Very unfortunate match-up as both are among the best
rock'n'roll live albums ever. But the Feelgood means a lot more to me :
FEELGOOD !
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *
Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy vs. Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes
Alive!
HUNTER of course.
--
Cordialement,
Ludovic
Please remove NOSPAM from my address to email me
Rod Carpenter

Marvin Gaye - I Want You
Greg Ioannou
2006-03-04 15:05:37 UTC
Eagles - Hotel California vs. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty
& the Heartbreakers

My initial instinct was to vote for Petty, but I think the Eagles album has
more going for it. And there's nothing on the Petty album as good at the
title cut on Hetel California. Eagles.

Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative vs. Rod Stewart -
A Night on the Town

Stewart

10cc - How Dare You? vs. Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

Ouch! I really like them both, but I think the 10cc is one of the best
albums of the year, so it gets the vote.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles

Lizzy

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life vs. George Harrison - Thirty
Three & 1/3

I kept hoping Stevie would put out anything that was even half as good as
Living for the City, and instead he kept coming out with embarrassing dross
like this. Harrison -- at least his album doesn't make me cringe.

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112

Oh I dunno. I really dislike the Rush album. Hot Chocolate had some good
songs, but I don't actually remember anything from this album and don't feel
inspired to listen to it. Pass.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear

Yikes. And here I really like them both. Stratosfear is one of the two or
three TD albums I'm likeliest to pull out and play, where as Still Life is
one of the VDGG albums I'm least likely to play, so TD.

Burning Spear - Man in the Hills vs. The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild
Tchoupitoulas

This one's tough too. the Burning Spear is one of a couple of dozen terrific
reggae albums from 1976, whereas there's nothing else like the WT album,so
I'll vote for it.

Deep Purple - Made in Europe (live) vs. Heart - Dreamboat Annie

Heart

The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World

Modern Lovers

Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia vs. Slade - Nobody's Fools

Smith

The Blackbyrds - City Life vs. Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the
Country

Blackbyrds (Yeah, I know what this one sounds like. I really don't like
Waylon.)

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview

This one's easy for me. I think Genesis were past their prime by this point,
and Interview is GG at their absolute peak. Gentle Giant.

Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

Roxy

Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie

Blondie

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man vs. Richard Thompson - (guitar,vocal)

Thompson

The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die

This is a really weak pairing. GFR

Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering

Genesis

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home vs.
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

Jukes

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café

I really like both of these too. But PCO is more fun.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees

Mann

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful

Urgh. My heart says Todd and my head tells me the Maytals album is the
stronger of the two. Heart wins this one.

Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading vs. Sly & the Family Stone - Heard
Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back

Joan

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop vs. Al Green - Full of Fire

Palmer

Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired

Boston

Spirit - Son of Spirit vs. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

Spirit

Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox

Klaatu

Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown vs. Southside Johnny
and the Asbury Jukes - Live at the Bottom Line

Pablo

Tom Waits - Small Change vs. J.D. Souther - Black Rose

Waits

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost

ELO

Bob Dylan - Desire vs. The Runaways - The Runaways

Runaways. Dylan was never capable of having as much fun as the Runaways have
on Cherry Bomb.

Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind [live] vs. Sweet - Give Us
a Wink

Sweet

Ry Cooder - Show Time vs. ZZ Top - Tejas

Cooder

Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune vs. Leon Redbone - On the Track

Redbone

Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

Rory

Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)

Gold

Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World

Third World

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment

Parker

Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence

Zep

Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

Rush

Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream

Lightfoot

Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry

Zevon

The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound

Residents

Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band

Tosh

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker -
Howlin' Wind

Parker

Curtis Mayfield - Give Get Take Have vs. Dr. Buzzard's Original
Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

Buzzard

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets

Stewart

Split Enz - Second Thoughts vs. Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

Split Enz! This, Richard Thompson and 10cc are my three favourites among the
survivors -- and this is the best of the three.

Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record vs. J. Geils Band - Blow Your
Face Out (live)

VDGG

Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!

BBD

Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings vs. David Bowie - Station to Station

Cummings

The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go vs. Little River Band -
Diamantina Cocktail

LRB

Carole King - Throughbred vs. Parliament - Mothership Connection

King

Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!

Trower

The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'

Residents

Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together vs. The Stills-Young Band - Long May
You Run

Ferry

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture

Rods

Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets

Ramones

Aerosmith - Rocks vs. Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch

Aerosmith

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action vs. AC/DC - High Voltage

Groovies

Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

Joni

* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live) vs. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Band - 'Live' Bullet

Seger

* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *

Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies vs. Tower of Power - Ain't Nothing
Stopping Us Now

Tower

Greg
Colin

Zaragon
2006-03-04 20:37:40 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Here are the matchups for Round 2 of our 1976 Album Survivor game.
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock 'n' Roll Alternative
10cc - How Dare You?
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Ouch, both of these are really good. But Jailbreak is the more
significant of the two, so Lynott and Gang.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
The only thing about the well-enthused Top 150 Albums of 1976 poll
which
took place last year over at progressiveears.com that didn't surpass
this here tournament in both voter competence and enlightenment was the
absence of Songs In the Key of Life from the top 50.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
I've never heard a Hot Chocolate album (wait, yes I have, but it's the
1971 record by the Ohio band who used that name, not this UK entity.)
Anyway, an album I don't know (and whose hit I don't like) up against
an album I know I don't like (from a band who didn't start getting good
until later) has me passing on this one.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life vs. Tangerine Dream -
Stratosfear
Ouch! Great Prog up against one of the greatest electronic albums ever
(which rounded out Tangerine Dream's golden 1974-1976 trilogy.) I'll
have to go with Stratosphere, since I've slept and woken to it hundreds
of times, and VDGG turned out an even better album with World Record
later that year, anyway.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers vs. Bee Gees - Children of the
World
Both are very good, very seminal recordings, but the Bee Gees album is
the one I'm more prone to play these days.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Slade - Nobody's Fools
The Blackbyrds - City Life
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail vs. Gentle Giant - Interview
Yikes! Everyone knows I'll take Genesis hands down. I love Interview,
and "Give It Back" was my first exposure to Gentle Giant's wonderful
music, but the album does have it's flaws. Mainly it's the thin
production, which muffles the layers in songs like the
great-but-still-could-have-been-better "Another Show" and "Timing". A
Trick of the Tail, meanwhile, is the pinnacle of perfection from the
most gifted group of musicians to have ever assembled on this planet. I
wore out at least two copies of this immortal disc before mp3's came
along, and used to do theatrical skits to songs like "Robbery, Assault
and Battery" and "Dance On a Volcano" at local clubs.

A Trick of the Tail by Genesis - one of the top two greatest albums
ever!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart vs. Blondie - Blondie
Oh no! Chick's solo masterpiece against one of the finest and earliest
American New Wave albums. Sadly, Chick's lifetime pièce de résistance
(the Romantic Warrior LP with Return to Forever) was knocked out last
round in one the most heinous mass goofups in this group's recent
history. Really sad, because he'll have to concede victory this time to
a band that really does deserve to win. Not only was Blondie's debut a
wholly inventive collection of quirky little gems (well, I don't care
for "Rip Her to Shreds", but the other songs are all great), it would
turn out to be the best they'd ever do. And check out the back cover -
pretty stylin bunch there (must of cured lots of those who saw it at
the time of any possible lank hair and bell bottom inflictions.:)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Born to Die
Looks like the railroad just got swamped by a tidal wave (and I could
fuckin' care less!) The Beach Boys, please.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Robert Palmer - Some People Can Do What They Like vs. Genesis - Wind
and Wuthering
Well, you're a fine man Robert, but you know the deal. NO ONE can
topple the immortal musical dynasty that is the high and mighty, one
and only (all bow before thee) **GENESIS**.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin Café
I like this Doobies album, and consider it a remarkable feat how
Michael McDonald turned a faceless bar band around and gave them an
identity. But I haven't heard the Penguin Cafe album, which I do
believe I'll probably like, so in all fairness I must abstain for now.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - The Roaring Silence vs. Boz Scaggs - Silk
Degrees
The Roaring Silence has some great tracks ("Starbird" and "This Side of
Paradise", not to mention "Blinded" and "Singing the Dolphin Through")
but it's not the landmark that Silk Degrees (one of the finest American
albums of 1976) proved to be. Boz, you're the man (make that THEE man,
now that John Miles ain't around.)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul vs. Todd Rundgren - Faithful
Toots. That Rundgren album is merely half great. I mean, who needs to
hear that covers side, beyond once anyway (just to see how accurate he
gets at forging the originals?)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Sly & the Family Stone - Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back
Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop
Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired
Wow, is this an easy one... WIRED!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Klaatu - Klaatu AKA 3:47 EST vs. Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox
Another one to bring a bit of remorse. Johnny the Fox was my first Thin
Lizzy album some 18 years ago, so it holds a special place with me
despite the anonymity it's given within the Lizzy catalogue. But the
Klaatu LP was another 1976 landmark, and (right behind John Miles'
Rebel, 10cc's How Dare You and Fireballet's Two, Too) was one of the
year's leading exponents of pomp pop, the prevailing Anglo music style
of 1976.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Tom Waits - Small Change
Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost
That ELO album was one of their weaker efforts (namely the three
unfortunate hits), but Garvey's Ghost is one of the cornerstones of dub
reggae. Burning Spear.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Dylan - Desire
Sweet - Give Us a Wink
Leon Redbone - On the Track
Linda Ronstadt - Hasten Down the Wind vs. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
HA! The easiest fucking draw of the round!! Get outa town, bitch, and
don't you come back!!

The Pride of Ireland it is! Rory Gallagher, the greatest white blues
rocker EVER!!
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Andrew Gold - What's Wrong with This Picture? vs. Wings - Wings Over
America (live)
Queen - A Day at the Races vs. Third World - Third World
Even the marginally good songs on that Queen album ("Take My Breath
Away", "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy") would have been filler if placed
on one of their stellar 1974 work's. But not all of 1976's pomp pop
entries were great (as ELO would also demonstrate.) Meanwhile, reggae
was making quite a strong showing of its own that year. Third World.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Rolling Stones - Black and Blue vs. Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Parker's good, but he did rush things a bit with this followup. That
Stones album, meanwhile, is my favorite post 60's LP by them. I just
love how they get into those jazz, funk, reggae and Little
Feat-inflected grooves.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Delbert McClinton - Genuine Cowhide vs. Led Zeppelin - Presence
Sparks - Big Beat vs. Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Surprised to see this admitted duffer from my under appreciated
pride-and-joy's still making the rounds. I intend to hear some Otis
Rush soon, but right now (in all fairness) I must abstain.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon vs. Eric Clapton - No Reason to Cry
I was looking forward to seeing Rory kick the crap out of Clapton, but
it looks like Zevon can handle that just fine.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Fingerprince vs. Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound
Wings getting quirky, facing off with a band who made quirks seem
plain. I must say that in my take or leave tenancies regarding the
Residents, this is for takes.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Peter Tosh - Legalize It vs. Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in
Bootsy's Rubber Band
Reggae and funk landmarks go head-to-head. I'm going with Bootsy, as
his phenomenal bass playing and wacky character really forges new
ground on here.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves vs. Graham Parker
- Howlin' Wind
Along with Racing Cars, Graham Parker delivered the finest album of
1976's all too brief pub rock craze (unless one considers Easy Street
to be "pub rock", in which case they both get knocked down a notch.)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Skynyrd were turning out a good but by no means standout entry in their
catalogue, while Al Stewart gave us a singer songwriter/pomp pop
platter that proved to be his finest album yet. Al indeed.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Split Enz - Second Thoughts
One of the most original, ornate, dynamic, complex, diverse, thought
provoking and fully fashioned albums of sheer genius ever created. This
and A Trick of the Tail are my top two albums of all time.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record
Now this is their real winner from 1976. I like how the songs are
slightly less busy now, and how they expand themselves over a more
stripped-down set of slow-growing grooves. Prog fans, take heed.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
Maybe too young to die, but I really wouldn't mind if you'd sit this
one out, Ian. Bill Nelson and crew are showing us what Modern Music is
(and in 1977, he'll be showing us how music of the 80's will sound!)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
David Bowie - Station to Station
The Thin White Duke may not have been the greatest lounge lizard of
1976 (that honor went to a guy named Boz) but he did provide another
fine face for Bowie.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Little River Band - Diamantina Cocktail
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Average White Band - Soul Searching vs. Robin Trower - Robin Trower
Live!
I hate to keep snubbing Robin like this, so I'll say something about
this latest of unlucky rounds for him. Soul Searching completed a trio
of fantastic albums by AWB, but Robin had just completed his already.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll vs. Grand Funk Railroad - Good
Singin', Good Playin'
Funny, my least favorite Resident's album is given the easiest draw of
the round! Looks like Farner and the goons can go console Linda Roncrap
over in the looser bin.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression vs. Kansas - Leftoverture
As much as I dislike Kansas in principle, I must admit they made some
awkwardly great music on this and their next album. OTOH, the Hot Rods
gave us an album of mere historical significance, with little hint of
the greatness that their next album would be. Kansas (begrudgingly.)
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Ramones - The Ramones vs. Herbie Hancock - Secrets
Talk about historical significance over musical merit! The Ramones came
up with the most startlingly pure concept in musical *form*, if not
content, and for that they must be commended (even if one not need to
actually listen to, or even like, their actual music to appreciate this
accomplishment.) Herbie was getting into a rut by this time, and I
never bothered with this album beyond the few songs I've obtained from
it (honestly, I much prefer his Mwandishi/Crossings phase, as well as
some of his 60's titles, over his more commercial post-1973 period.)

So it seems as though I should pick the Ramones. Trouble is, I'm
smelling smoke from a distant fire here. It wouldn't hurt if it won
*this* round, but I wouldn't want it going much further than that, and
I fear it will. In fact, I'm afraid it will be a finalist (no thanks to
a strong presence of voters whose love for the broader spectrum of 70's
music is only marginal.) Anyway, I can't stop it, but I'm not giving it
a go-ahead either. So I abstain.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That a Bitch
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
* Featured Matchup: UK/US working-man's live album battle: *
Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live)
Seeing psychotic Lee and Wilco live would have really been a riot back
in the day.
Post by AlbumSurvivor
* Featured Matchup: Funk feud: *
Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies
* Featured Matchup: Perm-off! *
Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy vs. Peter Frampton - Frampton
Comes Alive!
Even though it beat one of 1976's greatest albums due to voter
incompetence, the Frampton album is still good (and I do like him,
probably better than all the people who reluctantly gave him the blind
nod last time.) However, I haven't heard this Ian Hunter LP, though I
do like him as well (at least in Mott the Hoople.) So it wouldn't be
fair, though I may or may not like it better than the fine album which
really shouldn't still be here so... tell ya' what, I'm not voting for
either of them!

TS
Mike G
2006-03-04 20:55:00 UTC
Post by Zaragon
The only thing about the well-enthused Top 150 Albums of 1976 poll
which
took place last year over at progressiveears.com that didn't surpass
this here tournament in both voter competence and enlightenment was the
absence of Songs In the Key of Life from the top 50.
In fact, I'm afraid it will be a finalist (no thanks to
a strong presence of voters whose love for the broader spectrum of 70's
music is only marginal.)
Even though it beat one of 1976's greatest albums due to voter
incompetence
Boy...you're mighty smug about your enlightened open-mindedness, for
someone who reduces practically every decision to "Which album is more
'pomp'?"
Zaragon
2006-03-04 21:11:28 UTC
Post by Mike G
Post by Zaragon
The only thing about the well-enthused Top 150 Albums of 1976 poll
which
took place last year over at progressiveears.com that didn't surpass
this here tournament in both voter competence and enlightenment was the
absence of Songs In the Key of Life from the top 50.
In fact, I'm afraid it will be a finalist (no thanks to
a strong presence of voters whose love for the broader spectrum of 70's
music is only marginal.)
Even though it beat one of 1976's greatest albums due to voter
incompetence
Boy...you're mighty smug about your enlightened open-mindedness, for
someone who reduces practically every decision to "Which album is more
'pomp'?"
Well, due to some of the generalizations about 1976 that have been
voiced from both sides in here (the 50's/60's spill-over crowd and the
post-punk/alternative crowd - neither of whom are really grounded at
the core of the 70's) I've found it's time to sharpen the daggers.

As for pomp pop, I made it clear that I don't think every album in that
vein was a winner (note my votes against Queen and ELO in this round.)

TS
Mike G
2006-03-04 21:50:36 UTC
Post by Zaragon
Post by Mike G
Boy...you're mighty smug about your enlightened open-mindedness, for
someone who reduces practically every decision to "Which album is more
'pomp'?"
Well, due to some of the generalizations about 1976 that have been
voiced from both sides in here (the 50's/60's spill-over crowd and the
post-punk/alternative crowd - neither of whom are really grounded at
the core of the 70's) I've found it's time to sharpen the daggers.
Oh dear. God have mercy on us.

I have my complaints about various stylistic biases found in this
newsgroup, but that Progressive Ears poll for 1976 is much more of a
horror than anything which will come out of this group's 1976 Survivor.
How "Anglo white-boy" can you get?

Heck, that poll isn't even competently tabulated -- the Ramones album
has two different entries.
Mikki the Minx
2006-03-05 21:43:42 UTC
Post by Mike G
Post by Zaragon
Post by Mike G
Boy...you're mighty smug about your enlightened open-mindedness, for
someone who reduces practically every decision to "Which album is more
'pomp'?"
Well, due to some of the generalizations about 1976 that have been
voiced from both sides in here (the 50's/60's spill-over crowd and the
post-punk/alternative crowd - neither of whom are really grounded at
the core of the 70's) I've found it's time to sharpen the daggers.
Oh dear. God have mercy on us.
I have my complaints about various stylistic biases found in this
newsgroup, but that Progressive Ears poll for 1976 is much more of a
horror than anything which will come out of this group's 1976 Survivor.
How "Anglo white-boy" can you get?
Heck, that poll isn't even competently tabulated -- the Ramones album
has two different entries.
Just what is your problem anyway? All your posts here are nothing but
putdowns of people who aren't the same as you. You are just the way I
was last year --- even worst.

Anyway, Sharkie, I really like what you are saying here. You always
have something great to say about music, unlike Mike G.
Dave Allen

Dave
Ricky Gentry

AlbumSurvivor

Alive!
AlbumSurvivor

Alive!
aleen the karaoke queen
2006-03-06 19:02:08 UTC
AlbumSurvivor wrote:

[...]

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy (although I also love the Frampton
album...perhaps I love men with perms? lol)

aleen the karaoke queen
aleen the karaoke queen

aleen the karaoke queen
Ian Patterson

Dr. Feelgood - Stupidity (live)
Glenn
2006-03-07 16:27:46 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Sorry I'm so behind. Lots of great commentary from others this round.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Rod Stewart - A Night on the Town
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak vs. Billy Joel - Turnstiles

I do like "Say Goodbye to Hollywood", although it took my seeing Ronnie
Spector perform it live at The Bottom Line several years back to fully
appreciate how good it really was. Vote: Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112

Has anyone heard the stuff Hot Chocolate recorded for Apple? I've
always been curious about it, although I don't know if I really need a
Hot Chocolate rarities disc. Their Essential comp is solid though.
I'm assuming anyone who cares already knows that "You Could Have Been a
Lady", which was a hit for April Wine, is on this album. The Man to
Man version is (I believe) a remake of an even earlier recording.
However many versions there might be, that song is much much better
coming directly from Erroll Brown. Vote: Hot Chocolate

The Wild Tchoupitoulas - The Wild Tchoupitoulas
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
Waylon Jennings - Are You Ready for the Country

Roxy Music - Viva! (live) vs. Parliament - Clones of Dr. Funkenstein

I always thought this was an underrated Roxy album, so I'm sorry to be
voting against it. Vote: Parliament

Blondie - Blondie
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
The Beach Boys - 15 Big Ones
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

The Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets vs. Penguin Cafe
Orchestra - Music from the Penguin CafŽ

Penguin Cafe Orchestra is the first purchase I've made out of this
contest (I usually pick up one or two things that sound interesting),
and it certainly beats The Doobie Brothers record. I could swear I've
heard "Penguin Cafe Single" somewhere before -- a commercial? movie?
Vote: Penguin Cafe Orchestra

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading
Al Green - Full of Fire

Boston - Boston vs. Jeff Beck - Wired

The reviewer over at AMG (a brave fellow named Vik Iyengar who I hope
is like 19 or something) intimates that Boston's *lyrics* might be
undervalued. I for one vow to listen really really hard the next time
"Smokin'" comes on the radio. That said, I have a grudging respect for
Boston the machine, but I suspect I'll have more time to mull that over
in future rounds. Vote: Jeff Beck

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Tom Waits - Small Change

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record vs. Burning Spear -
Garvey's Ghost

Both of these are good records. Vote: Electric Light Orchestra

Bob Dylan - Desire
Sweet - Give Us a Wink
Ry Cooder - Show Time
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Wings - Wings Over America (live)
Third World - Third World
Graham Parker - Heat Treatment
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time
Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream
Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon
The Residents - Fingerprince
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band
Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind
Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah
Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
Mighty Diamonds - Right Time

Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!

My all-time favorite Bill Nelson record is Sound-on-Sound, while the Be
Bop Deluxe stuff I tend to admire more than play. Modern Music still
kicks the crap out of this Jethro Tull album though. Vote: Be Bop
Deluxe

David Bowie - Station to Station
The Trampps - Where the Happy People Go
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Average White Band - Soul Searching
The Residents - Third Reich & Roll
Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression
Ramones - The Ramones
Aerosmith - Rocks
Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

Marvin Gaye - I Want You vs. Joni Mitchell - Hejira

I like the I Want You album, especially the softcore stuff like "Feel
All My Love Inside" -- as far as I can tell, Gaye doesn't even bother
singing or speaking that title in the actual song. Impressive! For
me, I Want You isn't quite as strong as Hejira though. Vote: Joni
Mitchell

Funkadelic - Hardcore Jollies
Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy

-- Glenn

NP: Music from the Penguin Cafe
Zaragon
2006-03-07 17:57:23 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Post by AlbumSurvivor
1976 Album Survivor, MATCHUPS - Round 2
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music vs. Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N'
Roll: Too Young to Die!
My all-time favorite Bill Nelson record is Sound-on-Sound, while the Be
Bop Deluxe stuff I tend to admire more than play. Modern Music still
kicks the crap out of this Jethro Tull album though. Vote: Be Bop
Deluxe
If Sound-On-Sound is your favorite album of Bill's career, then it I'd
imagine you'd like Drastic Plastic the most out of all the Be-Bop
Deluxe albums. I myself am fondest of Bill's 1977-1980 recordings, and
consider Drastic Plastic to virtually be the first Red Noise album. And
while I thought Sound-On-Sound was the greatest album of all time for a
straight year after I bought it (in 1992), I eventually came to the
conclusion that the diversity of Drastic Plastic is more rewarding.

On Drastic Plastic (and the extra recordings from those sessions), you
can trace the future of arty new wave over the five years following its
1977 recording date: "Electrical Language" was the birth of New
Romantic (NuRo) synthpop; "Superengmatix" was the blueprint for early
Tubeway Army, amongst others; "Japan" (as the title would have it) laid
the foundation for Yellow Magic Orchestra and Japan (the band);
"Blimps" foreshadows his own 80's instrumental albums; "New Mysteries"
set a precedent for NuRo pomp (exemplified on cuts like "New Europeans"
and "Western Promise" by Ultravox); etc.

http://www.myspace.com/bebopdeluxe78

Sound-On-Sound, otoh, was a more singular blast of spastic energy volts
that zeroed in on the style of "Superenigmatix" and "Love In Flames"
(with an added dose of quirks via XTC's Go-2 LP.) Both albums are
great, but I think that Drastic Plastic is more special because it's
one of the few albums (aside from early Sparks and Roxy Music) to have
introduced a dozen new musical futures. For that, I feel that Drastic
Plastic is one of the most important albums of the last 30 years.

As far as the classic (pre-new wave) Be-Bop Deluxe sound goes, I think
that 1975's Futurama LP was the best. The most apt description I've
ever seen was one stating that it sounds like all your Queen, ELO and
10cc albums playing at the same time.:)

TS
Glenn
2006-03-08 17:08:18 UTC
Post by Zaragon
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Post by AlbumSurvivor
[...]
Thanks for all the great background and recommendations here. I
suspect I may still be more content with a full 40-minute dose of
Sound-on-Sound's "spastic energy volts", but you've got me curious, so
I'll go back and revisit Drastic Plastic. From the samples you linked
to, I can hear the shift you describe on "Superengmatix". I especially
like the subtitle for that track: "Lethal Appliances for the Home with
Everything".

-- Glenn

NP: Nothing
Bajamark
2006-03-09 07:13:33 UTC
Post by Zaragon
[...]
Sound on Sound is a fantastic album, I love Drastic Plastic also, but I
consider it one of their lesser albums...... side 2 is great.

I don't draw the connection between Drastic Plastic and Sound on Sound......
I'd play Drastic Plastic and people would like it or tolerate it anyway, if
I put on Sound on Sound I'd get some real puzzled looks...... it's kinda
dated now, but for its time it was ahead of the curve. Bill did a complete
360 in my opinion from Drastic Plastic to Sound on Sound.

Get all the Be Bop albums for sure.... but.....

I think you should move FORWARD (if Sound on Sound is your thing).....
to......
Bill Nelson's Quit Dreaming and Get On the Beam, or Love that Whirls.
Just listen to Banal (off Quit Dreaming) for instance....... Bill continues
to amaze on guitar, what a talent! Backwards or forwards...... there is
really no direct transition (to or fro) to the "hurky jerky quirky" Sound on
Sound album..... it was what it was, and it stands on it's own.

Mike Score's favorite album was Sound on Sound and inspired him to form "A
Flock of Seagulls". Bill Nelson did some producing for them...... check out
"Telecommunication"..... "Sound on Sound" like.

For me the Be Bop lps would rank this way...... (studio LPs only).

Sunburst Finish and Modern Music (neck and neck, but Sunburst Finish wins)
Futurama

then

Drastic Plastic

then

Axe Victim

I am a BIG TIME Tull fan, and Glenn is correct....... Modern Music was the
better album that year.

I could compare that to when Tull won the "Heavy Metal Hard Rock" Grammy
over Metallica in what 87'? I totally understand the furor over that
decision......but..... being a fan of both bands, clearly "Crest of a Knave"
was/is the better album over "...And Justice for All. Well that's a topic
for another day, in another newsgroup.

N.P. Be Bop Deluxe Possession
Glenn
2006-03-12 16:30:42 UTC
Post by Bajamark
I think you should move FORWARD (if Sound on Sound is your thing).....
to......
Bill Nelson's Quit Dreaming and Get On the Beam, or Love that Whirls.
Just listen to Banal (off Quit Dreaming) for instance....... Bill continues
to amaze on guitar, what a talent! Backwards or forwards...... there is
really no direct transition (to or fro) to the "hurky jerky quirky" Sound on
Sound album..... it was what it was, and it stands on it's own.
The only Nelson album I recall buying post-SoS was Vistamix, which I
liked well enough but played maybe three times max. It definitely
didn't sound much like SoS. AMG claims that Quit Dreaming and Get on
the Beam is similar to SoS, but there aren't any sound clips. Of the
two Nelson solo albums you mentioned above, is that the one that you'd
recommend most highly?
Post by Bajamark
Mike Score's favorite album was Sound on Sound and inspired him to form "A
Flock of Seagulls". Bill Nelson did some producing for them...... check out
"Telecommunication"..... "Sound on Sound" like.
Interesting. I bought The Flock of Seagulls album when it first came
out based solely on hearing "Telecommunication", but I did not know
that SoS was such an inspiration to Mike Score.

-- Glenn

NP: Van Morrison - His Band and the Street Choir
Zaragon
2006-03-12 20:47:41 UTC
Post by Glenn
The only Nelson album I recall buying post-SoS was Vistamix, which I
liked well enough but played maybe three times max. It definitely
didn't sound much like SoS.
"A Kind of Loving" and "Do You Dream In Colour" were culled from Quit
Dreaming.
Post by Glenn
AMG claims that Quit Dreaming and Get on
the Beam is similar to SoS, but there aren't any sound clips.
It's more diverse, like Drastic Plastic, encompassing cold wave of the
Numan/Foxx mould ("Vertical Games", "My Life Runs Out Like Sand" and
the title track), punk ("Decline and Fall") and proto-80's dance pop
("UHF".) QD&GotB also has more of the spastic elements ("False Alarms",
"A Kind of Loving"), plus a Red Noise leftover ("Disposable"), so it
could be viewed as a cross between DP and SoS.
Post by Glenn
Of the
two Nelson solo albums you mentioned above, is that the one that you'd
recommend most highly?
I'd recommend QD&GotB, as well as his double LP compilation The
Two-Fold Aspect of Everything, which scoops up the remainder of his
1978-1980 home recordings, plus a few additional tracks. Cuts like
"Instantly Yours" and "Atom Man Loves Radium Girl" are a few of the
unearthed gems in the Red Noise vein.
Post by Glenn
Post by Bajamark
Mike Score's favorite album was Sound on Sound and inspired him to form "A
Flock of Seagulls". Bill Nelson did some producing for them...... check out
"Telecommunication"..... "Sound on Sound" like.
Interesting. I bought The Flock of Seagulls album when it first came
out based solely on hearing "Telecommunication", but I did not know
that SoS was such an inspiration to Mike Score.
And they took their name from the Stranglers song "Toiler On the Sea".

TS
Bajamark
2006-03-15 00:25:39 UTC
Post by Glenn
The only Nelson album I recall buying post-SoS was Vistamix, which I
liked well enough but played maybe three times max. It definitely
didn't sound much like SoS. AMG claims that Quit Dreaming and Get on
the Beam is similar to SoS, but there aren't any sound clips. Of the
two Nelson solo albums you mentioned above, is that the one that you'd
recommend most highly?
Bill evolved into different styles over the years and I must admit I didn't
keep up..... but I would highly recomend QD&GotB, you'll like it........

No sound clips, not even on Amazon..... bummer.
Parry
2006-03-15 04:53:12 UTC
Post by Bajamark
Post by Glenn
The only Nelson album I recall buying post-SoS was Vistamix, which I
liked well enough but played maybe three times max. It definitely
didn't sound much like SoS. AMG claims that Quit Dreaming and Get on
the Beam is similar to SoS, but there aren't any sound clips. Of the
two Nelson solo albums you mentioned above, is that the one that you'd
recommend most highly?
Bill evolved into different styles over the years and I must admit I didn't
keep up..... but I would highly recomend QD&GotB, you'll like it........
No sound clips, not even on Amazon..... bummer.
I agree with Bajamark and Zaragon. "Quit Dreaming" is a worthy companion
to Red Noise, though the material's not as forceful. Another notable
Nelson effort from this period is his production work on Skids' "Days in
Europa."

I put a "Quit Dreaming" sample here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/15537618/bill_nelson_-_banal.mp3.html (click
"free" at the bottom of the page).

-- Parry
Glenn
2006-03-21 02:33:30 UTC
Post by Parry
I agree with Bajamark and Zaragon. "Quit Dreaming" is a worthy companion
to Red Noise, though the material's not as forceful. Another notable
Nelson effort from this period is his production work on Skids' "Days in
Europa."
http://rapidshare.de/files/15537618/bill_nelson_-_banal.mp3.html (click
"free" at the bottom of the page).
Thanks Parry (and Bajamark & Zaragon) -- I've been away or I would have
responded sooner. I like this track. One suspects Morrissey must have
been very disappointed to learn that "Banal" had already been used so
effectively by someone else. So anyway, this track was enough to get
me to order the Quit Dreaming disc. I'll be curious to see how it
compares to Red Noise.

-- Glenn

NP: Buzzcocks - Flat-Pack Philosophy
Bajamark
2006-03-22 02:33:18 UTC
Post by Glenn
Thanks Parry (and Bajamark & Zaragon) -- I've been away or I would have
responded sooner. I like this track. One suspects Morrissey must have
been very disappointed to learn that "Banal" had already been used so
effectively by someone else. So anyway, this track was enough to get
me to order the Quit Dreaming disc. I'll be curious to see how it
compares to Red Noise.
I think you'll like it Glenn...... the Red Noise album is better
collectively. Quit Dreaming is "Sound on Sound" without nuclear robo-toids,
but it does has some better songs......

Morrissey can kinda sound like "Kermit the Frog" to me sometimes, but I love
his album "Southpaw Grammar".

N.P. Let's Active - Writing the Book of Last Pages
Glenn
2006-04-23 03:28:06 UTC
Post by Bajamark
Post by Glenn
Thanks Parry (and Bajamark & Zaragon) -- I've been away or I would have
responded sooner. I like this track. One suspects Morrissey must have
been very disappointed to learn that "Banal" had already been used so
effectively by someone else. So anyway, this track was enough to get
me to order the Quit Dreaming disc. I'll be curious to see how it
compares to Red Noise.
I think you'll like it Glenn...... the Red Noise album is better
collectively. Quit Dreaming is "Sound on Sound" without nuclear robo-toids,
but it does has some better songs......
As a delayed followup (it takes me a while, but I get there
eventually), Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam was a good
recommendation and an interesting companion to Red Noise's
Sound-on-Sound. Because several tracks on QDAGOTB are a bit more like
trad synth pop to my ears (Zaragon provided more precise categories
earlier), it took a few plays for me to get acclimated, but there are
several strong songs here, and overall it's a lot of fun. Aside from
"Banal", my favorite tracks are "Disposable" (where Nelson's
preoccupation with animated appliances continues: "behind closed doors,
each small appliance forms an unholy alliance"); "False Alarms" which
is probably the closest thing here sonically (and spastically) to
Sound-on-Sound; the propulsive "A Kind of Loving" (what a great meld of
guitar/sax/synth); the motivational title track (hopefully an
inspiration to New Romantics everywhere) and, not surprisingly for me,
the unexpected guitar rave-up that doesn't appear to have any synths at
all, "Decline and Fall". Oh, and "Do You Dream in Colour", which I had
heard before.

As a general note, I didn't realize this record was truly on-topic for
the 70s until I read the reissue liner notes. It was apparently
recorded in early 1979 and shelved by EMI following an executive
shake-up and the subsequent dumping of Nelson from the artist roster.
Two years later, it was picked up by Phonograph/Mercury where it
appears to have become Nelson's biggest solo success in the UK,
spawning several hit singles.

-- Glenn

NP: Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming and Get On the Beam

Mike G
2006-03-07 19:41:22 UTC
"Glenn" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope your votes were in time to be counted, because you voted for some
of the good things which lost by a vote. Such as Tom Petty, Jeff Beck,
Blue Oyster Cult, Rory Gallagher and especially *Heat Treatment*.
Post by Glenn
Penguin Cafe Orchestra is the first purchase I've made out of this
contest (I usually pick up one or two things that sound interesting),
and it certainly beats The Doobie Brothers record. I could swear I've
heard "Penguin Cafe Single" somewhere before -- a commercial? movie?
I'm not sure about that particular piece, but PCO music gets used a lot
in an absolutely charming Australian film about a quirky misfit who robs
banks using ingenious "toys"...I'm forgetting the title right now. Might
be a simple male name.

Ah yes. "Malcolm." Thank you, Google.

http://www.penguincafe.com/licensing.htm
JGM
2006-03-07 19:45:59 UTC
Post by Mike G
I hope your votes were in time to be counted,
They were.

JGM
Glenn
2006-03-08 17:15:07 UTC
Post by Mike G
I hope your votes were in time to be counted, because you voted for some
of the good things which lost by a vote. Such as Tom Petty, Jeff Beck,
Blue Oyster Cult, Rory Gallagher and especially *Heat Treatment*.
Yeah, looks like all I managed to do was make some these losses even
more painful. I can't believe we're heading into Round 3 with no
Graham Parker.
Post by Mike G
Post by Glenn
Penguin Cafe Orchestra is the first purchase I've made out of this
contest (I usually pick up one or two things that sound interesting),
and it certainly beats The Doobie Brothers record. I could swear I've
heard "Penguin Cafe Single" somewhere before -- a commercial? movie?
I'm not sure about that particular piece, but PCO music gets used a lot
in an absolutely charming Australian film about a quirky misfit who robs
banks using ingenious "toys"...I'm forgetting the title right now. Might
be a simple male name.
Ah yes. "Malcolm." Thank you, Google.
http://www.penguincafe.com/licensing.htm
Thanks for this. I haven't seen Malcolm, although I did see Chuck &
Buck (goofy and likable in its way) which apparently also featured PCO
music. I bet it's a commercial I'm thinking of though.

-- Glenn

NP: Nothing
Mike G
2006-03-08 18:15:42 UTC
Post by Glenn
I can't believe we're heading into Round 3 with no
Graham Parker.
Yup...hard to believe.
Post by Glenn
Thanks for this. I haven't seen Malcolm, although I did see Chuck &
Buck (goofy and likable in its way) which apparently also featured PCO
music. I bet it's a commercial I'm thinking of though.
Chuck & Buck...oh man. People who love The Office should check out this
film. When it comes to making the viewer uncomfortably squirm in his own
skin, The Office is a cakewalk compared to Chuck & Buck. :)
Brett A. Pasternack
2006-03-08 07:11:58 UTC
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
Has anyone heard the stuff Hot Chocolate recorded for Apple? I've
always been curious about it, although I don't know if I really need a
Hot Chocolate rarities disc.
There was only one single, a reggae version of "Give Peace A Chance".
It's a pretty straightforward, surprisingly authentic reggae version
with mostly-spoken vocals (except for the familiar chorus). Not bad. Let
me know if you'd like me to send an mp3 (and what e-mail address to send
it to if so).

I used to have the vinyl single, but I don't remember the b-side,
"Living Without Tomorrow".

I don't believe that either side has appeared on a legit CD. When Apple
finally started reissuing its catalog, there was talk of a rarities
collection with singles and such, but it never came to pass.
Glenn
2006-03-08 17:19:06 UTC
Post by Brett A. Pasternack
Post by AlbumSurvivor
Hot Chocolate - Man to Man vs. Rush - 2112
Has anyone heard the stuff Hot Chocolate recorded for Apple? I've
always been curious about it, although I don't know if I really need a
Hot Chocolate rarities disc.
There was only one single, a reggae version of "Give Peace A Chance".
It's a pretty straightforward, surprisingly authentic reggae version
with mostly-spoken vocals (except for the familiar chorus). Not bad. Let
me know if you'd like me to send an mp3 (and what e-mail address to send
it to if so).
I used to have the vinyl single, but I don't remember the b-side,
"Living Without Tomorrow".
I don't believe that either side has appeared on a legit CD. When Apple
finally started reissuing its catalog, there was talk of a rarities
collection with singles and such, but it never came to pass.
There's a Hot Chocolate import called A's, B's & Rarities which lists
both the Apple A & B side you describe above as the first two tracks.
I guess those could be non-Apple versions though. Anyway, I'd love to
hear whatever you have. You can send them to ***@gmail.com.
Thanks!

-- Glenn

NP: Nothing
Brett A. Pasternack
2006-03-09 07:20:41 UTC
Post by Glenn
Post by Brett A. Pasternack
Post by AlbumSurvivor
[...]
Interesting. I suppose if it's recent they might have gotten the rights
from Apple.
Post by Glenn
I guess those could be non-Apple versions though. Anyway, I'd love to
Will do.